Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Workshops, Workshops, Workshops!




People have asked me what kind of work I do here in Georgia. I like to say that I am here to do whatever I am asked to do but I mainly do workshops for English teachers. I have been doing workshops on reading, writing, listening and speaking activities. After several years of being a public school teacher, I find that I am able to use what I learned during that time to give practical advice to teachers on these subjects. I am also learning that there was so much more that I could have done as an ESL teacher. I am reminded all the time that just because you are a teacher, you don't stop learning. In fact, you job is to continue learning and improving your craft!
Teacher's House teacher trainers' meeting.
My first workshop at Teacher's House.
The first few times I did workshops, I was so nervous. First, because it is something that I really haven't had much practice doing. Secondly, because I certainly don't know everything there is to know about teaching and sometimes I just don't have the answer to all the questions. I have often felt not well-prepared or even worthy of doing this job. I value the work of the teachers that come to my workshops and I want to give them the best activities and strategies that are available. I always hope that they leave my workshops with at least one thing they can do in their classes the next time they teach.
A teacher's workshop conference which took place in both Georgia and Armenia.
Another workshop at Teacher's House
One of the best things I have been able to do while here in Georgia is observe English teachers in the public schools. I think that it was necessary for me to go to schools and see what resources were available for English teachers here in Georgia. Georgian public schools are nothing like American public schools. I knew this was a fact but seeing it was different than talking about it. It is true that Georgian public schools don't have as many resources as American public schools have but that doesn't stop teachers especially English teachers from being creative and resourceful! With what little they have, they manage to do a great job and students are learning in their classrooms. It has definitely shown me that you don't need thousands of dollars of equipment to teach a subject. It is nice to have that kind of money but a good teacher is a good teacher no matter how much money or resources are available to them.
Observing a great lesson in a public school in Rustavi.

A second grade English classroom in Tbilisi.
In the next few months, I will be traveling around Georgia doing workshops and meeting and observing English teachers. I have learned so much already about best practices, creative teaching, etc. I feel so blessed to have this job and I continue to learn about myself through this experience. 
Georgian English teachers are awesome!
A Thanksgiving lesson at a public school in Tbilisi.

No comments:

Post a Comment